The forms for IRB approvals have to be submitted for the beginning of research. You can check out the procedure and Process FAQs. The process is as follows:
- There is IRB determination tool on the website to check if the project you want to get approved qualifies for human subjects’ research or not. If you are approved for the same, move to step 2.
- If there is need for exemption from IRB approval, you can fill in the exemption form available. If your research is not in exempt category, you can complete IRB application with attached supplements and signatures. It is mailed to Research Compliance Office.
The alternative way is to attach .pdf files and scanned to the email ID mentioned on the website. The certification is needed to conduct human subjects’ research. Students are required to get supervision before reviewing the work for supervision.
- Your application requires proper completion as incomplete ones will be rejected and returned to investigators. Only complete applications are considered in compliance with federal regulations.
- Advance requests are reviewed by the Unit IRB Liaison/ IRB Coordinator/ Designated IRB Member. The investigator will be informed if there is exemption for application.
- IRB will conduct meetings on monthly basis for review of applications. The approved applications are valid for the duration of 3 years. The research will be valid for annual basis and investigator are immediately sent information on the required decision.
- Project can’t be extended beyond the dates approved by IRB. There is a special Termination/ Continuation request submitted to extend work beyond the date.
- The tasks can’t be modified outside the approved protocols. There is modification request form meant to be submitted for even a minor change.
- There can be no research conducted till the confirmation is attained from IRB coordinator for approval or exemption of any new case or renewal application.